Sunday, July 10, 2011

Happiness Is A Puppy


SNICKERS... Playing Peekaboo from the Bed Covers

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about little puppies."

My husband and I have raised six kids between us and now we are raising two adorable four-legged ones.
Snickers is a Scottish Terrier and the newest member of our family. I got him for my husband nine months after we were forced to put his dog Sterling down.  Not that Snickers could ever truly replace Sterling because
every dog is special in their own right and own ways. We had Sterling for almost nine years and he was my husband's best friend and loyal companion. We suffered a great loss when we had to put him down for biting 3 people in one  weeks time, but my  husband suffered the greatest loss.  I waited a goodly  a mount of time before surprising him with this adorable   Scottish Terrier. I knew he had to be completely different than Sterling because I wanted my hubby to know that this wasn't a replacement dog but a gift of another loyal companion.   At first my husband wasn't thrilled over having another dog.  Which shocked me and hurt my feelings a bit...but once I considered the fact that maybe he wasn't really as  ready as I thought he was for a new dog... could I better understand. However it didn't take Snickers long to nose his way into Larry's heart and mine too.  Bella (my 4 yr. old Tshi-tzu) turned out to be the one who needed the most attitude adjustment when it came to the new puppy. All she saw was a little black and brindle fur ball getting a lot of the attention that she was use to getting.  She had been quite enjoying being the only dog under our roof. Oops...Sorry, Bella but you need to learn to play nice with your new sibling.  It didn't take her long to decide that she needed to show Jr. Fur-ball who was boss around here.  If he did anything she didn't like she would pick him up by his backside and shake the living day-lights out of him.  She never hurt him just scared the poo out of him (literally, at times ).  Now, four months later...Snickers is the same size as Bella, but they have grown closer together and co-exist a bit better than they did at first.  Snickers has the most playful and loving personality. He is all hyper-puppy and just wants to please and play with everyone.  He thinks children are as cool as chipmunks and birds and are meant to be chased and cornered. Most of the neighborhood kids like Bella better because she is calm, doesn't jump and try to knock them over and just rolls onto her back  for a tummy rub. Hopefully Snickers will learn that he can win more friends with a calm demeanor,  like Bella.  For now, we are all getting a lot of laughs, joy, and delight, from his puppy antics and look forward to many years of  Scottish Terrier Fun and Frolic!

"Animals are such agreeable friends- they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."  - George Eliot

No comments: