Friday, May 14, 2010

SO CHARMED...






















CHARM BRACELETS HAVE MADE A COME BACK!






But for those of us who have always been charmed by
all those jingly metallic dangles, they have never
really gone out of style.

Charm Bracelets, in one form or another, can be
found in almost every era of jewelry history. Ranging
from religious and magical charms to baubles and
adornments intertwined with wishes and prayers.

I myself, own six or seven charm bracelets all
very different from one another.  My first
bracelet I received from my best friend, who
asked me to be her Maid of Honor in the early
1970's. It was a sterling silver-double link
bracelet with one girly charm on it. It was
her bridal thank-you gift to me. That started
me on my way to collecting. Over the years 
many more charms were added to commemorate
a plethora of special occasions. Many monumental
events were celebrated with gifts of charms, such as
graduation, birthdays, the birth of children,
anniversaries, new jobs, holidays, and vacation
remembrances, etc. Thus, I call this particular
bracelet "My Memory" Bracelet. It tells the story
of  my live in special events, that come to mind
while looking at each individual charm.

After WWI and going into the Second WW charm
 bracelets became "sweetheart" mementos and
soldiers not only sent them home to their girlfriends
but to their mother's and wives also. Most of these
charms were smuggled out of Europe or coins were
fashioned into charms by soldiers in the trenches
waiting for the next round of fighting.

My second charm bracelet was dedicated solely
to my family, especially the children and pets.  
I call this "My Family Bracelet".  It has charms
that represent their hobbies and sports interests also.

The third charm bracelet I own is a 14k gold
Heart Bracelet that I purchased for myself. This
bracelet was a hundred and twenty dollars but
I got it on sale with a 75% off coupon. I really
love a good buy! The truly unique aspects of
this bracelet is that it was my first gold bracelet,
all the gold links are a stretched oval shape and
it has 6 hearts on it that all look identical.
It is a beautiful bracelet in its pure simplicity.

In the 1950's Charm Bracelets went from
platinum and higher karat gold (like 14k to 18k)
and precious and semi-precious stones to everyday
affordable base metals called pot metal, as well as
sterling silver and 9 or 10k gold.  Now every woman
could afford a charm bracelet and most had at least one.

My fourth charm bracelet was an Italian Charm
Bracelet, where all the charms are flat and link
together to form the circular bracelet.  This
bracelet for me was the most fun to put together.
In fact by the time I was done I had 3 complete
Italian Charm Bracelets. These charms were very
easy to find and also very affordable.  My mom,
sister, aunt and I had more fun finding unique
charms for each other's bracelets.  It was an
absolute blast for about a year and a half....just
trying to surprise each other and ourselves with
our fabulous charm-finds.

As the charm bracelet became a popular jewelry
fashion statement they took on a pop-culture all
their own. Bracelets became kitschy music and
book venues to show off your favorite band or
book series. Elvis, The Beatles, The Monkees as
well as Nancy Drew and Ivory Circus Charms
became all the rage.

My fifth charm bracelet, I found in my favorite
antique store in Portland Oregon. And it is
indeed an antique...as I had just seen it and read
about it in a book I had bought on the history of
charm bracelets, called "charmed Bracelets' by
Tracey Zabar and photographed by Ellen Silverman. 
This bracelet is brass with enamel and rhinestone
charms. It has a total of five charms; a lipstick tube,
a purse, lips, a high-heel, and a bikini, on it. It is
delightfully Art Deco. I will definitely be keeping
my eye-out for more antique bracelets from now.
Everyone who see's this one on my wrist wants
one just like it. Hmmm, I may have to start
making charm bracelets to sell!

Immigrants coming into our country began
bringing in their own foreign charm bracelets
with their unique and unusual styles. 
Souvenir travel charms also became
prevalent as car, sea, train and air travel
became a more acceptable and more common
means of public transportation.  These charms
evolved in to "good luck" tokens and were
made into gambling chips, roulette wheels, rabbits
feet and four-leaf clovers. Thus, charms began
developing a sense of humor all their own.

My sixth Charm Bracelet, is another sterling
silver combo, comes from Hallmark and
looks like a knock-off of the much more
expensive Pandora Charm Bracelet. This is
an affordable version, that most any woman,
young or old would adore wearing.
This one has unique bead charms, dazzling
colored rhinestones spheres, monograms,
as well as a host of girly and family oriented
charms to choose from. You can boldly declare
your story with this fun and quirky bracelet.


Television also affected the jewelry culture. 
Fans of the Beverly Hillbillies, I Love Lucy,
This is Your Life, Dr. Ben Casey, and
The Honeymooners, all wanted their
favorite shows and stars on Charm
Bracelets. Who wouldn't love wearing a
sweet little charm bracelet of Shirley Temple?


My seventh Charm Bracelet is one large
clear heart that you put floating tiny
charms in to. I put one together in
honor of my Grand-daughter's 1st Birthday.
I put a red birthstone heart in it, two
rhinestone initials, pink baby feet and
a rhinestone crown.  All representing the
fact that She is My Little Princess.

Here is a list of some different charm
types if you decide that you would like
to start a charm collection of your own: 
CONTAINER CHARMS: designed to
hold something within-a picture, a lock
of hair, perfume, a prayer, a baby tooth, etc.
DOCUMENT CHARMS: engravable birth
or marriage certificates, driver's license,
diplomas or messages. 
FIGURAL/3-D CHARMS:
Probably the most popular and
widely available. You'll find
everything from animals to buildings
to people to everyday objects. 
MECHANICAL CHARMS: charms that
have elements that   move.  Movable
part charms are highly sought after. 
SILHOUETTE/FLAT CHARMS: pretty
self-explanatory, a child's head, a state,
a flag, initials etc. 
STANHOPE CHARMS: these vintage
charms usually have a little peephole
 that magnifies words, like The Lord's
Prayer, The Constitution, or an etched
picture of a city, like San Francisco.
CAMEO, ENAMELED AND PAVE' CHARMS:
carved, painted and jeweled charms.

Some of the famous women whose wrists
were publicly adorned with Charm Bracelets are:
Jackie O, Ginger Rogers, Mrs. Babe Ruth,
Mrs. Paul Whitman, The Duchess of Windsor,
and Mrs. Harry Winston just to name a few.


FINALLY I WANT TO SHARE ONE LAST
PIECE OF CHARM BRACELET FACT
AND FANCY WITH YOU.  IT IS SOME-
THING EVERY GIRL AND WOMAN
NEEDS TO KNOW:                                 



There is an unwritten rule of all
Charm Bracelet owners and it is this:
THOU SHALL NOT BORROW
MY CHARM BRACELET...start your own!


MAY WE ALL LEAD CHARMED LIVES!                                  

LADY IN RED

* ALL Italic font PARAGRAPHS ARE
STATEMENTS FROM THE BOOK
 "charmed BRACELETS" by Tracey Zabar
and Photo's by Ellen Silverman






















2 comments:

dutchy said...

I have always LOVED charm bracelets too :)I got one when I was a little girl and there were all the small child charms on it, a mushroom, a small heart, acorn...things like that. My second one that I still have, has all kinds of souvenir charms from places in the world I've seen and visited :)
And the 3rd one I bought a few weeks ago. Just an over the counter cheap one, but OH so cute

Hugs from Marian/dutchy on MJF ♥

kathyinozarks said...

I loved reading about your charm bracelets, I remembered I had a couple growing up, but don't have them any more-sigh-
I am new on MJF, found you thru there Happy Sunday