Thursday, August 11, 2011

Tutorial On Making Heart Shaped YoYo's

This is the 4 inch cardboard Template I use to cut out my Heart Shape. You can go in and Google
                    Heart Shaped YoYo's and download the pattern and instruction for this.

I
I also use 2 strands of embroidery floss as it is stronger regular thread.
I try also to match the color to the material, but for the purpose of being able to see my work
on this demonstration...I chose white for contrast.

Start at the top... hand sewing small stitches on one side of the heart.


Next start at the top and hand stitch going in the opposite direction.
Leave about 2inch tails on each thread top and bottom.

Take both top strings and start pulling the top of you heart into shape.
Working with your fingers as you pull ...to make nice rounded arches.

Now pull the two bottom threads up to meet the two arches.
This bottom portion should pull up to make about 3/4 ths of the body of the heart.

Now pull all four strings together as tightly  as you can and then tie a knot.
Again...remember that you are continually shaping your heart to get it into the best
Heart Shape You Can Possibly Make It!

Turn the Heart over and take your longest piece of floss and make an X in the middle
of the two arches. This will pull down the fabric and make your arches even crisper and more distinctly rounded. Don't worry if you get a fold on the back like I did on this one. If you don't want that for what ever reason, you bunch that fold up towards the top and tack it in with your X.
But remember this is the back...so unless you are making a Table Runner, Doily, or Bed Spread out
of your finished product...the back is of little significance...and a fold wont show.

At this point...I make sure that my heart shape is cinched as tightly as I can possibly get it,
with hopefully no hole showing in the center. Some times I find that I need to gather some of those
bottom pleats just a bit tighter to make the point at the bottom a little neater and to keep everything
hidden underneath what ever button I sew on The Heart.

Your final step is to add your button. If you notice in this picture, I have no threads showing or no gaping hole that is larger than the button. This fact is even more important if you are using no buttons
at all. You want a tight cinch to make a nice looking heart shape.


I hope this step by step tutorial will help any of  you who want to learn how to make Heart Shaped YoYo's or perhaps even help those of you who know how...just to get even  better at it.

3 comments:

sharnymcclarny said...

I never knew to leave threads dangling at the top as well as the bottom point. Will have to try that for the next swap. Thanx for the info Peg, Shar♥n

Blessed in Colorado said...

I have finally found step by step instructions for the heart yo yo. Thanks so much Peggy, I appreciate you.
I have a couple of your heart yo yo's that CJ shared with me,I love them and have wanted to make some. Now I can with your instructions, when I find the time of course.
Hugs,
Deb

Blessed in Colorado said...

Not sure my first comment posted as I can not find it so will try again.
CJ, shared with me a couple of your Heart Yo Yo's you made and I love them. Wanted to make some but did not know where to start. Then I found your blog and there you have step by step instructions. Thank you so much for them, when I find the time I will try my hand at making a few. Many I will send you one and you can tell me how I did:-)
Glad to hear your DH is feeling better.
I appreciate you, you sure are a bright spot in so many lives and I thank you.
Hugs,
Deb